LET the rebuild begin

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

by richymotor » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:20 am

i think it's a 200 cells sports cat in a custom 3" exhaust ... it's just not getting hot enough to work i think.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Stupink » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:09 pm

Ahh.. it must just be too close then, i never really looked at that, a shame, I agree its just not warming up the cat enough, the fueling was terrible because of the AFM, but it seems much more stable now, but its just not going to heat up quickly sat there at idle.. it needs to be driven, perhaps a longer run next time before pulling into the station? and a warning you're on your way lol.
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by splinter » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:08 pm

Mine started to do that do i done this to it to stop it.. and it works.

I get blown by Twins everyday !!!!

The old skyline gtr felt exciting even when it was in a car wash !!!!! :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by bodgetastic » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:16 pm

Stupink wrote:
When you say it overheated, other than the paint going.. ouch, what were the symptons?

It got a tad hot and spat out the water from the bottom rad hose. Will need to check I have the fan connected the right way round but sat at 3k didnt help. Yes its a sports cat, currently in the rough location of the old cat but definately not getting hot enough. Choices I have are to fabricate my old exhaust and cat to fit, take the exhaust off and take to powerflow to move cat (and lambda's), or get lost on the way to the next MOT.

I agreed option 3 with the garage yesterday but im thinking option 2 as this will allow me to move the lambda's which might also help with the hunting. Problem with this is the exhaust has no joins from manifold to backbox which makes transport a little tricky, and also if the new welds are slightly out it wont fit properly. I really dont want to have to trailor the whole car down again :evil:

As for the bonnet, a bit of heat treatment underneath and a new spray job and all should be tickidy boo again...... till boost time :twisted:
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by Stupink » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:40 pm

spat it out a hose?? you mean the hose split? or the hose came off??
the pressure cap on the expansion tank should be the first thing to start spitting out if the pressure builds too much, possibly just a weak joint??
what did the temp gauge say did you notice?

I think you should just go for a longer drive to the mot station.. or drive to a mates garage first the other direction to "do some work required for the mot" :D
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by bodgetastic » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:06 pm

Cheers for the pic Ian. Where did you buy it from?

I think it was just the mikalor not clamping properly but it was above the hundred creaping towards the red...at what point should I start getting scared :twisted:
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by Stupink » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:15 pm

99.9 :P

the fan is probably ok, just don't sit there with it at 3,000rpm :P
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by richymotor » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:04 am

it's those stupid f'ing mikalor clamps ... they're only there to look pretty ... get some horrible nasty standard type and nothing will come off ... they just go oval when you do them up.

yes they are the sexiest clamps around but if they are not fit to purpose then what's the point (i'm going to regret saying that as you'll make me take them off on saterday lol)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by bodgetastic » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:12 pm

The Mikalor clamp that let go was at its maximum so I will change it for a smaller one, I kinda think its best that they are the weak point at the moment while im sorting out little issues so have no intentions of changing them all lol :lol:
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by rob » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:38 am

And finally the loom is back in the car. some of the wires were in a right mess and its not until you start stripping back the sheathing that you notice how bad they are. I would say definetely a must for anyone planning any work on their calibra.

Hi mate what did you do to the loom exactly.
rob

by bodgetastic » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:15 am

Im not the biggest fan of electrics tbh so the loom was actually repaired by an autoelectrician mate. When I took the loom out to examine it the sheathing had fraid in various locations leaving exposed wires and also many of the wires were barely still connected to the plugs so these were renewed or resoldered.
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by bodgetastic » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:26 pm

Haven't given an update for a few weeks so hear goes. Managed to kill both my cameras so no photos of progress unfortinately.

Ive been busy changing sensors over the last few weeks to the extent that everything under the bonnet is now brand spanking new. Main ones have been AFM, hot start valve, TPS, ICV and oil level sensor. Also had a few custom leads made up from Magnecor as the standard length wouldnt fit (really helpful guys)! Oil level sensor sorted out the problems I was having with the light coming on so that just left the MOT to pass.

MOT take 3 and with the engine now running much better I went for a spin to warm everything up beforehand. Emissions were still on the highside but with a bit of fine tuning it got through 8) I was finally a tad happy :lol:

Last week or so ive been doing a few little jobs and even managed to get some of the Innovate gauges to work so things are finally coming together.

So its running in time now and ive put 150 miles on it to date. Found myself becoming a very paranoid driver and probably spend 10% of my time looking at the road and the other 90% looking at the gauges :lol: . Even managed the Weston meet on Sunday which was my first propper trip in the car. Good to meet up with everyone and a big thanks to Chip and Blotto for adjusting my clutch so I can now find all my gears :lol:

Few pics of her first trip.....

More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by BazV6er » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:05 pm

its looking very nice mate
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by tim74 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:53 pm

congrats mate on passing the mot glad to see her on the road we knew you would get there in the end allthough it doesnt seem like it at the time really pleased for you :D
tim74

by daddycool » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:18 pm

Nice one Steve :)

Glad it's coming together nicely at last, but how did it pass the MoT with those 'leg slicers' sticking out of the bumper?
daddycool

PreviousNext